Apply for EIN | Employer Identification Number|

We Use Cookies - This website uses cookies, to help provide you with the best experience we can. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies in according with our cookies policy

Toggle Facebook Twitter Linkedin Instagram Youtube Login Please enter your username, password and digits in the box CUSTOMER LOG-IN Company log-in

Forgot your log-in details?

English Español Français Deutsch Български Česky Italiano Lietuvių Latviešu Polski Português Romanian Русский Slovak ภาษาไทย Türkçe 中文简体 Tax Returns & Refunds Close

If you worked in any of these countries, you could be due a Tax Refund

Australia Ireland USA Canada UK New Zealand Germany Netherlands Belgium Denmark Japan Luxembourg Australia Working Holiday Tax Refunds Superannuation Refunds Australian Citizen Tax Return Student Tax Refunds Mining, Oil and Gas Workers TSS 482 Visa Holders (Replacement of 457 Visa) Tax Tips for New Arrivals

Go Back

Ireland PAYE Tax Refunds Financial Wellbeing Services Self Assessed Tax Return Filing I am not sure Landlord Tax Return Filing

Go Back

USA J1 US Tax Refunds US Tax Refund US Tax Return Preparation US Royalty Refunds

Go Back

Canada Canadian Tax Refunds for Non Canadians Tax Services for Canadians & Residents Student Tax Returns Mining, Oil and Gas Workers

Go Back

UK Tax Rebates for PAYE Workers who are Non-UK Nationals UK Self-assessment Tax Return Services Backpackers in the UK Construction Workers UK Non-Resident Tax Services UK Landlords

Go Back

Germany German Income Tax Refunds German Pension Refunds Kindergeld (childcare benefits) U1 Service German Tax Refunds for Married Couples German tax refunds for Seafarers German Tax Refunds for Scientists/Researchers

Go Back

Netherlands Netherlands Income Tax Refunds Zorgtoeslag (Healthcare Allowance) Application

Go Back

Belgium Belgian Tax Refunds Belgian Tax Refunds for Seafarers Belgian Tax Back for Students Belgian Tax Refunds for Couples

Go Back

Denmark Tax Refund from Denmark Holiday Allowance Refund from Denmark

Go Back

Japan Japanese Tax Refunds Japanese Pension Refunds

Go Back

Luxembourg Luxembourg Tax Refunds Luxembourg Tax Refunds for Students

Go Back

Other Tax Services Close

Residents / Expats and other Tax Services

Tax Numbers for Business & Individuals Expatriate Tax Services Irish Rent Collection Agent Services Corporate Close

Corporate Services - Business across borders is what we do best

Financial Wellbeing Services Dividend Withholding Tax Global Mobility Employee Share Schemes Partnership International Payroll VAT Services Tax Health Check About Close

Residents / Expats and other Tax Services

About Media Centre CSR Careers Partnership Privacy Policy Terms & Conditions Awards Fees Quality Policy Blog Contact Us Home  /  US Tax Services  /  EIN Number

If you plan to do business in the US, you'll need an EIN

Live Help   Download PDF   Contact Us   Close

EIN Registration Form

United States

Not so fast!

Oops - you've skipped a bit! Please fill it in so we can move on!

Oops - you've forgotten to fill out some info and entered your {[field_name]} incorrectly. Please correct them so we can move on!

Oops - you've used the wrong format for your {[field_name]}. Please enter your {[field_name]} in the format shown so we can move on!

Oops - you've used the non-latin symbols in your {[field_name]}. Please enter your {[field_name]} in with English letters only so we can move on!

Not so fast!

Oops - you've skipped a bit! Please fill it in so we can move on!

Oops - you've forgotten to fill out some info and entered your {[field_name]} incorrectly. Please correct them so we can move on!

Oops - you've used the wrong format for your {[field_name]}. Please enter your {[field_name]} in the format shown so we can move on!

Oops - you've used the non-latin symbols in your {[field_name]}. Please enter your {[field_name]} in with English letters only so we can move on!

EIN Number

Does your company do business in the US? Local and foreign-owed companies doing business in the US need an Employer Identification Number (EIN) , also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number. The EIN is the corporate equivalent of a Social Security Number (SSN). can arrange an EIN for your company so you are compliant with IRS regulations.

Your EIN is used to identify your business in the US and you need one if you meet any of the following criteria:

You employ staff You operate your business as a corporation or partnership You file employment, excise or alcohol, tobacco or firearms-related tax returns You withhold taxes on income other than wages and paid to a non-resident alien You are involved with trusts, estates, real estate mortgage investment conduits, non-profit organisations, farmers' cooperatives, or plan administrators. get help FAQ US ITIN Company US Tax Return Get Live Help Log in

EIN Frequently asked questions

View all

? What is the Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

The EIN is a nine digit number in the following format XX-XXXXXXX used for business identification purposes. The Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number and is used to identify a business entity.

The number is assigned to both US-based and foreign entities in order to identify them for tax matters, for statistical and administration purposes. The EIN is also required to hire employees, open bank accounts, issue W-2 forms, pay taxes, receive US source income and interact with other businesses, SSA and the tax administration. Similar to the SSN, the EIN is assigned and remains unchanged during the lifetime of the business entity. Only the IRS has the permission to assign EINs to both foreign and US-based companies.

? Why and when is EIN required?

An EIN is needed if any of the following circumstances apply to you:

You started a new business You hired or intend to hire employees, including household employees Opened a bank account that requires an EIN for banking purposes You changed the legal character or ownership of your organisation (for example, you incorporate a sole proprietorship or form a partnership) You purchased a going business You created a trust You created a pension plan as a plan administrator You are a foreign person and need an EIN to comply with IRS withholding regulations, including claiming a tax treaty benefits You are a withholding agent for taxes on non-wage income paid to an alien (such as an individual, a corporation, or a partnership) You are a state or local agency You are a federal government unit or agency You formed a corporation You formed a partnership You administer an estate formed as a result of a person's death You represent an estate that operates a business after the owner's death

In accordance to the above, almost any company, foreign or US based, qualifies to obtain an employer identification number.

? What documents are needed to complete the application?

In order to process the EIN application we need 4 documents:

1. A completed registration form
2. Signed Third Party Authorization form
3. Signed SS-4 “Application for EIN”
4. Company charter copy or picture ID copy and document showing current address (for individuals who are sole proprietors).

? Who should sign the application form SS-4?

Owner – in case of single member LLC or sole-proprietor Member/Director/Authorized Employee – in case of a multimember LLC General Partner or Tax Matters Partner – in case of a partnership. NOTE: Limited Partners cannot sign documents on behalf of the partnership, unless specifically authorized by all General Partners President/Director/Authorized Employee – in case of a corporation or exempt organization Trustee – in case of a Trust Heir, Spouse, Lawyer, Representative or Executor – in case of a Decedent's Estate. Authorised Company Solicitor – in all of the above if relevant authorisation form is attached.

? Should I have a SSN or ITIN to obtain an EIN?

No. If you are a non-resident alien, you do not need an ITIN or SSN to qualify for a business number, no matter what your entity type is. However if you have previously been assigned an ITIN or SSN you must disclose it on the application form. US citizens, long term residents and nationals must disclose their SSN on the EIN submission forms.

? How long does it take to obtain an EIN?

For Electronic Filing – The EIN is disclosed immediately after payment is confirmed and the online application is filed. Electronic applications are accepted only for individuals holding a valid SSN or ITIN. For Paper filing – within 48 business hours after the payment from client is confirmed. NOTE: The 48 hours apply to regular IRS business hours. If a customer pays on Friday morning, the EIN will probably be issued on Monday afternoon.

? When can the EIN can be used?

For the majority of services it is available to use immediately when obtained, however it takes about 2-6 (US and abroad) weeks for the paper EIN notice to be issued. The notice is sent to the taxpayer directly to the company address listed on the application form. The notice is the official verification of the EIN and must be kept securely. Copies of it should be sent for verification when required.

? Can file on behalf of an entity?

Yes. Both methods listed above allow an EIN application to filed and the EIN assigned to be received by a third party through the “Third Party Designee” section of the application form.

? I am a non-resident alien; can I work with the EIN?

No. The EIN is a business number and is not valid for employment purposes. Employees should obtain a valid SSN from the Social Security Administration to legally work. However, self-employed individuals may perform certain services under the EIN if they are otherwise authorized to work in the US.

? Why do you need a Company Charter?

The company charter or similar registration document must be released for company identity verification purposes. The individual signing the application forms must be listed on the charter as an owner, director, partner, trustee, etc depending on the type of the entity. The only exception is in case any of the latter has authorised in writing a company solicitor to perform actions on his/her behalf. In this case, needs a copy of the authorisation too.

? Why do you need a passport / ID copy?

For security and identify verification purposes we need a passport or ID copy if you fall in any of the categories below:

A Sole-proprietor who is not registered in his/her home country and is seeking registration in the US only A sole-proprietor who is not required to register in his/her home country to perform services of self-employment character.

? Who are the sole-proprietors?

Sole-proprietors or self-employed individuals are usually individuals in certain special occupations. Most common examples are: architects, designers, photographers, accountants, researchers, musicians, singers, artists, writers, door-to-door sales agents, real estate brokers, florists, coiffeurs, stylists, plumbers, technicians, movers, make-up artists, masseurs, construction workers, sub-contractors, delivery workers, chiropractors, lawyers, public notary, etc. The list above is not a complete one, as legislation may vary between counties.

? What is a 'Certificate of Incumbency' and when you need it?

A 'Certificate of Incumbency' or similar documents are required for all entities, except Corporations trading on a registered stock exchange or sole-proprietors, to show that you are the actual owner of the company in question. Often the company owners are also stated in the company formation or organisation documents or in an appendix to them.

We charge just $200 for an EIN application

Our EIN application service is competitively priced at just $200 per application. can save you time and apply for your EIN for you leaving you to get on with your business. The service we offer is quick and effective. All you need to do is to fill out our online form, download and complete your EIN application pack and we’ll complete all the necessary paperwork on your behalf. We’ll also be on hand to answer any queries you may have along the way. Get started here today! Find Out More


Contact Details About Fees Careers CSR Awards News Blog Videos Testimonials Document Management Policy

Tax Refund Services

Australia Tax Refunds Belgium Tax Refunds Canada Tax Refunds Denmark Tax Refunds Germany Tax Refunds Holland Tax Refunds Ireland Tax Refunds Japan Tax Refunds Luxembourg Tax Refunds New Zealand Tax Refunds UK Tax Refunds US Tax Refunds

Corporate Services

Dividend Withholding Tax Global Mobility Employee Share Schemes International Payroll VAT Recovery Expatriate Tax Services Tax Health Check US Citizens Tax Filing Tax Numbers Partnership

Tax Tools

Tax Tracker Tax Packs Tell A Friend Tax Calculators Live Help Tax Apps  

Contacts | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Corporate Services | About Us

© 1996 - 2022

You can now use Sprintax for your US tax return.

Sprintax from is our online self-preparation tool for US federal and state tax returns.

It's fully guided, more cost-effective for you, and will guarantee you stay fully compliant with US tax laws.

By using Sprintax, you will also get the maximum US tax refund.

Get Started Now

or select another service

Posted by Jack Read more Comments (15) 2022.08.22 16:40